Wanna Write? Start a Blog


Writer's Resources...

Start a Personal Blog, Get Writing Experience


I think freelance writing is one of the coolest professions, and apparently, I'm not alone. Whenever I meet someone for the first time, it doesn't take long for the conversation to turn to work. They'll ask what I do, and I'll nonchalantly reply, "I'm a freelance writer." Their eyes get wide and the usual response is "wow, how cool." I have to agree. But it doesn't stop there.

Sometimes I'm asked how to get started as a freelance writer. I'm no stranger to this question. In fact, I have a generic answer: improve your writing skills, write samples, create a cover letter, and religiously apply for opportunities. But I think I forgot one crucial tip.


I became a freelance writer six years ago - pre-blog days. Even though I applied for my first blogging opportunity in 2005, I didn't start my own blog until last year. And even then, I didn't immediately include a website link with cover letters.


Why? I don't really know.


Maybe it was because I started this blog as a way to help beginners, and a way to vent a few frustrations. But what I didn't realize was that this blog could function as a writing sample. And for anyone who wants to break into the business, blogging is a great way to hone your skills. Since newbies don't normally write on a everyday basis, blogs provide great practice.

So, you want to become a freelance writer. My advice: start blogging. Pick a topic and go for it. It's free, and once your skills improve and you're ready to apply for freelance opportunities, you've got a sample.

Popular Posts