The Check Bounced?!?

Writer's Resources...

Getting a Client to Pay Up!


I love writing, and I'm thankful for the opportunities I have to freelance. Thus, I won't speak ill of my career choice. But I have to say, there's one aspect of this business that annoys me.

About two weeks ago I received a check from a client. I deposited the check two days later and went about my business. Five days later I went to check my bank balance, and to my surprised, the check bounced. Now, I've worked with this company for more than seven months, and this was the first returned check - so I didn't get upset. I simply e-mailed my contact person to make her aware of the situation.

According to my contact person, the company sent out an e-mail to all writers to notify them of the situation. I didn't receive an e-mail. As a matter of fact, I spoke to someone who also writes for this company, and they didn't receive an e-mail either - red flag alert.

By this time I was due another check, so I didn't get mad. Just mail me my money, and I can go on with my life.

Well, I received another check today...but it didn't include funds to cover the check that bounced!

Do they honestly think I forgot about the money?

I sent a very "nice" e-mail inquiring about the missing money. Her response, "the bank should automatically submit the check for payment."

Yeah, well here's a news flash: my bank doesn't do that! Besides, I already received the returned check in the mail.

I'll attempt to re-deposit the funds.
But this time, I'll take the check to their bank.

Popular Posts