How to Grow a Freelance Writing Business

Writer's Resources...

Make More Money as a Freelance Writer


Some freelancers run a profitable writing business, wherein they may be able to work less than four hours a day and earn a sizable income. On the other hand, you have a few freelancers who scramble to meet their monthly expenses.


Growing a freelance writing business isn't always easy. True, you'll come across a handful of writers who didn't have to pay any dues. They likely had their first query letter accepted, followed by their first article appearing in a national publication - which opened the door to other higher paying opportunities. Now, they only write two or three feature articles a month, and call it a day!


That's going to me - someday.


I've been a freelance writer for five years. And throughout the past five years I've learned how to grow a freelance writing business - and how to work smarter.

Freelancers realize that the key to working less is finding freelance writing jobs that pay more. I've been able to reduce my work hours by more than half within the past two years. And ironically, my income increased. Thus, I'm confident that one day I'll be able to write only a few pieces each month and still earn a decent living.


Here are a few tips on how to grow a freelance writing business - and hopefully - work less hours.
  • Increase Hourly Rate: Nearly all freelance assignments pay per article. Currently, the majority of my assignments are web content. Personally, I try to average at least $20 an hour. This might involve completing two small SEO articles (250 words or less) for $10 each, or a larger assignment. For example, I used to write travel guides for $80 each. Each guide took between two and three hours, which put me around $26 to $40 per article.
  • Earn Performance Bonuses: A few writers are uncomfortable with freelance opportunities that pay performance bonuses - I'm one of them. However, I've had success with Associated Content and EHow.com. Both websites offer up-front payments for content. Plus, writers receive monthly payments based on the article's performance. It's been several months since I submitted new content to either site, yet I receive (on average) a performance bonus of $150 each month.
  • Learn Other Markets: It's easy to get comfortable with one type of writing. However, if you want to grow a freelance writing business, you've got to diversify and think outside the box. Don't rely on web copy assignments. Yeah, these gigs are easy to find and opportunities are steady. But, if you want to make more money as a freelance writer consider other niches. Write business plans, grants, press releases, medical articles, and so on.

Popular Posts