Get Published before 30!

Writer's Resources...

Breaking into the Big Leagues


So, my goal for the new year is to become a regular magazine writer. Four years ago I made myself a promise - get published in a national magazine before the age of 30. Well, I turn 30 this upcoming October and I've yet to accomplish my goal. It's my own fault. I got too comfortable with web copy. Yeah, the payout is low compared to print markets, and I occasionally deal with slow-paying clients. But the jobs are plentiful, and I don't have to wait months for a check. Still, I think it's time to step outside my comfort zone and live my dream.

While I don't plan to give up web copy entirely, I would love to step back a little. It would be nice to devote more time to writing pieces that pay $1 a word, and spend less time on assignments that pay $0.10 a word. It's an old cliche and every freelance writer's motto - work smarter, not harder!


Although I've been published in two print publications, they weren't national publications and the payout wasn't anything to get excited about. Even if I have to send out five query letters a week, this is my year to get published in a national magazine.

Look for me in Essence, Ebony, or Redbook!

Popular Posts