Freelance Writing Tips - Learn How to Say "No"

Writer's Resources.....

Learn to Say "No" and Live to Tell About It!


Freelance writer's aren't super people. We have families, interests, and other obligations. Thus, we can't let our business interfere with our personal lives. It seems that most clients are gracious and respect our time. On the other hand, you'll occasionally come across an individual or company who acts as if the world revolves around them.

I'll be the first to admit, saying "no" to a client isn't always easy. Even if I didn't have the time (or desire) to complete an assignment, I would accept and modify my schedule. Last minute assignments with tight deadlines - no problem. I needed the money, and I wanted to keep my regular clients. Unfortunately, I did this at the expense of sleep and personal time. It just came a point when I said, "no more."

Too often I read blogs or speak to other freelancers, and it seems as if we all have the same complaint. Freelance writing is unpredictable. And the fear of losing business prompts many writers to take on too much work. This can lead to a hectic schedule, and writing becomes less enjoyable.


I remember my moment of clarity.


It was two years ago on a Sunday night. I was tired, not feeling that great, and I had ten SEO articles to complete. I accepted the assignment that previous Friday, and I had to complete twenty short articles within two days. I could have easily turned down the assignment. But the request came from a regular client who actually paid well.

At that moment - I hated writing. I wanted to turn off the computer and throw in the towel. This came after a week of several assignments and little down time. I had a choice - I could either lighten my load, or continue to appease clients and watch my passion turn into a burden.


I enjoyed writing - but it was no longer fun. For the first time, I understood the importance of saying "no." Now, I don't hesitate to turn down work. Everyone needs a break, especially writers. Between eye strain, constant thinking, and the risk of carpal tunnel - writer's have a tough job.

Popular Posts