Freelance Writer's Pet Peeves

Writer's Resources...

How to Deal with Rude Clients?

I love freelance writing. Within the past three years, I've been able to payoff debts, save money for my closing costs, and start a nest egg. While the benefits are huge and I enjoy time freedom, there is an apsect of this business that drives me crazy - rude clients!

I've developed long-term relationships with a few clients. The majority are appreciative and offer flexible deadlines, which is great since I juggle multiple gigs. Yet, I've come across a few rude people. One client in particular has started to get under my skin. My annoyance is so real that I'm considering ignoring any future emails from her. In fact, the only reason why I've stuck with her is because the article topics are within my niche and the pay is good. However, I'm at the point in my career where I'm tired of bending over backwards for clients (quick turnaround times, low-paying, etc). This client will occasionally send an email asking whether I'm available for assignments. When I send a response - no answer. Ok - maybe she got busy. A few days later, I'll send a email update just to make sure that she got the previous email. Still, no response. Not to mention, in the past two years I've sent three emails that have gone unanswered or ignored. Yet, when she needs someone (probably because her regular writer is sick or on vacation), I'll receive an urgent email from her. Well, the next time she wants to send an assignment, I'll politely decline - if I'm having a good day. If not, I'll say that the email got lost in cyberspace. This bridge has already been burn.

Popular Posts