Why Every Writer Should Use Copyscape

Writer's Resources...

How to Find Stolen Content on the Web?

If you write content for the web, and constantly send editors writing samples and articles for review, you should consider getting a Copyscape account. This is a great tool for editors. Many online publications want to purchase full article rights, and will not accept previously published pieces. Using Copyscape, they can quickly scan the text of an article, and determine whether the article is already published online.

I recently discovered that Copyscape can also be a good tool for freelance writers. About a week ago I submitted a short article for review and potential publication. Well, the editor declined the article, and politely said that the article "had been copied word-for-word" from a website that will remain nameless. Since the editor gave me the website address, I had a way to track down the webmaster. I kindly asked him to either pay for the article, or remove it from his website. The webmaster was surprisingly nice and I had a payment within the hour.

The article in question was sent to this webmaster as a writing sample. He offered me a writing opportunity, but I declined because the payout was too low. I never heard from him again. Which leads me to wonder - why did he think it was okay to publish a writing sample?

I've heard of writers publising blog posts without permission - but a writing sample! Like most freelance writers, I make a living writing for the web and I email a large number of writing samples and unsolicted articles. I've even made the mistake of writing free test samples. When I don't hear back from an editor, I simply brush it off and look for other opportunities.

Until now, I nevered considered whether or not the editor used a piece without permission, and without paying me. Since Copyscape is cheap ($0.05 per search), I've decided to invest. It's a small price to pay, and this way, I can ensure that I recieve full credit and payment for my work.

Popular Posts