Too Much Competition?

Writer's Resources...

Too Many Writers, Not Enough Jobs!

When I started writing for the web nearly four years ago, I got hired for almost every job. If a contract ended, I would simply patrol the job boards, send out a few cover letters, and snag a new freelance writing assignment within a day or two. Unfortunately, those days are gone. Maybe it has to do with the onslaught of writers and work at home professionals making a living writing web content, or perhaps it's because I've started going after bigger fish (a.ka. higher paying jobs), wherein job posters are overwhelmed with responses. Within the past two weeks I've responded to about 13 freelance writing job ads, recieved eight responses, and two jobs. From the eight responses, three were low-paying jobs (not worth the effort), one required way too much research and documentation (also not worth the effort), and two reponders felt I was qualified for the assignment, but due to an overwhelming response, the position was already filled. Since I make a living as a freelance writing, I try to have at least three to four regular clients. Sometimes I can stay afloat with two regular clients. Of course, these clients typically pay very well - but the assignments are usually temporary, and many have ended without much notice. To boost my odds of finding a new job quickly, I hit the job boards every hour, and include a resume and relevant samples with every e-mail. The competition is fierce, but this technique seems to get my foot in the door.

Popular Posts