Make Money as a Ghostwriter - August 22, 2007

Writer's Resources...

Letting Someone Else Take the Credit for Your Work

A few years ago when I took the big leap to become a freelance writer, I came across several job ads looking for a ghostwriter. I would bypass these ads and look for jobs that would give me a byline. Besides, my goal was to become a successful writer and break into magazine writing, in which I would need several good clips. I was initally turned off by ghostwriting assignments for one main reason. Ghostwriters don't receive any kind of credit or recognition for their hard work. The ghostwriter does all the research and creates the content, only to have someone else put their name on the pieces and take the credit. My personal thoughts on ghostwriting have changed. About two years ago I took a chance and reluctantly accepted a ghostwriting assignment. The job ad I responded to didn't mention that all articles would be ghostwritten, which is a major plus or else I would have missed out on a great opportunity. The assignment became long-term, the payout good, and the client was enjoyable to work with. I kept that assignment for over a year, and have since accepted numerous other ghostwritten assigments. When applying for new jobs, I'll sometimes submit a clip that I've ghostwritten. In the event that the client stumbles upon the content written under someone else's name, I'll include a little blurb in the cover letter that identifies the clip as a ghostwritten piece.

Popular Posts