I Hate Low-Paying Freelance Writing Opportunties

I hate low-paying freelance writing jobs with a passion. When I started my freelance writing career, I accepted a few low-paying gigs as a way to build a portolio, which worked. As I look back, I was probably crazy for accepting a few assignments.

For example, create 500 word, keyword articles for a pay of $5 - I didn't even complete this assignment. Once I realized that it had taken me about three hours to research, write, and re-write two articles, wherein I had only earned a $10 payout, I contacted the editor and in-so-many-words, politely informed him that the project was not worth my time.

Even though I hate low-paying jobs, I sometimes take one to fill-in a gap, which provides a little income between higher paying jobs. However, I choose the low-pay market with care. For example, if the gig pays $6.00 per 300 word article, I only accept the assignment if I am familiar with the topic, in turn, I can write four or five articles in an hour. Secondly, I don't mess with low-pay editors who want a masterpiece. It amazes me how some editors can offer a low-ball price per article, and then expect the writer to spend two hours researching the topic. Think again.

Popular Posts